The Civic Literacy & Media Influence Fellowship:
A Paid Journalism Fellowship for Current Students & Alumni
Students and Alumni have an opportunity to apply for a paid 12-week fellowship position to learn about the practice of journalism and editorial storytelling. Student fellows will be mentored by Mr. Charles Ellison, consultant to LLAC as well as an award-winning analyst for major media outlet WURD Radio.
Charles is a former SiriusXM Channel host, panelist on MSNBC’s Hardball, and has appeared on CBS’ Face the Nation, as well as CNN, FOX News, BET, ABC News and Sky TV to name a few. His work in the Tribune is syndicated, and he has been featured in Politico, Pacific Standard, Philadelphia Magazine, The Miami Herald, The Chicago Tribune, The Washington Post, RealClearPolitics and elsewhere.
- Writing (blogs)
- Video-media or “VLOG” Production
- Guest Bookings
- Social-media Amplification
- Topic and Data research
- Civic Literacy & Media Influence Fellowship – Certification
- Professional Experience
- Resume Development
- Reference Building
- Monetary Award Upon Completion of Fellowship
- Applicants must complete Fellowship Application
- To apply, all active students and/or alumni (16–22 years old) selected must exhibit strong writing skills
- A minimum 2.75 GPA • Must be currently enrolled for at least one semester, or have graduated from a Learn4Life, FLEX, Mission Academy or Stanza school
- A letter of recommendation from Supervising teacher, Counselor or Principal
- A letter verifying student requirements met and capability of successfully completing the Fellowship
- Consideration given for special circumstances
- Commitment to completing the entire 12-week program upon Acceptance into the Fellowship
- Commitment of at least (1) In-person virtual session with Charles & the Cohort each week (Session times may vary)
- No more than (2) Unexcused Absences
- Applicants MUST submit a 1-2-page essay based on the following bullet points below.
- The 1-2-page essay should address the following areas:
- Why is this fellowship opportunity important to you?
- Explain your educational and career plans
- Describe any community involvement, and/or volunteer work
- Share your past achievements, aspirations and future goals that make you a good fit for this fellowship
- Applicants MUST also submit a 90 second “Video Submission” explaining who you are & why you think you should be selected for the CLMI Fellowship
- Applicants can upload videos via Tik Tok or Youtube and include the link on the application form.
*Alumni should receive verification from the Manager of Student Alumni Relations by emailing [email protected] or another Administrative official.Applicant is not related to an officer, director or employee of Lifelong Learning Administration Corporation or any of its affiliates.
If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out by emailing [email protected]